Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
- Autism has a lot of potentially varied symptoms, so it’s not easy to diagnose.
- Symptoms have to do with social communication and speech & language.
- Repetitive behaviors are a symptom. Look for hand gestures or fixtures on specific routines.
- Food/texture sensitivities are a potential issue.
- Loud noises or crowded spaces can be a problem for kids with autism.
- Other kids can be stoic, they won’t seek their parents if they hurt themselves, for example.
- A lack of desire to share their feelings or interests can be a symptom. These children may seem solitary or detached.
- If you have concerns, talk with your primary care physician or early-intervention services if you feel that your child’s pediatrician is underestimating or discounting symptoms.
Children with autism are colorful – they are often beautiful, and like the rainbow, they stand out. -Adele Devine