This topic is adapted from the Sketch X YouTube channel.
According to Henry Cloud’s book, The Power of Other, there are four types of leaders. Three of these leaders give either unhealthy feedback to their team, or no feedback at all. Only the true authentic leader gives good feedback in order for his team to move forward and accomplish their mission.
The Loner Leader
The Loner Leader is disconnected from his employees. He rarely gives feedback to his team, and sometimes gives no feedback at all. Therefore, his team has no direction, or worse yet, continues to go in the wrong direction, moving away from their mission.
The Toxic Leader
The Toxic Leader gives his employees feedback, but only in a harsh or uncaring way. Sometimes his feedback isn’t even accurate according to the job they’ve done. This kind of feedback is neither good for the individual employee or for the team as a whole.
The Fake Leader
The Fake Leader is afraid to give his employees any critical feedback, even if it is constructive criticism and well deserved. Therefore, he only gives his team feedback that makes them feel good about themselves. This leads to a stagnant team of employees where nobody is growing in their performance.
The True Leader
The True Leader gives his employees honest, real, and practical feedback. This enables his team to keep moving forward in the direction of their mission. When truthful feedback is given by the leader in a caring way, every employee feels like they are part of the team and will work hard to accomplish their goal together.
Giving unhealthy feedback, or no feedback at all, is harmful to a team of employees and to a business. Employees need to hear real, honest feedback that they can practically apply to the job that they do. A True Leader will give his employees this type of feedback in a caring way, while moving his team in the right direction to accomplish their mission.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- From the list of leaders above, what kind of leader was your father at home? What kind of leader was your mother? What kind of leader are you with your family?
- How can a Loner Leader’s lack of feedback move his team in the wrong direction?
- How can a Toxic Leader’s feedback hurt his team and his business?
- How can a Fake Leader’s feedback keep employees and his business from growing?
- How can a True Leader’s feedback help his team to accomplish their mission?
- Out of all the leaders listed above, which do you think is the worst and why?
- What kind of leaders have you had at your business. What kind of leader are you?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.