This topic is adapted from the Kid Forward YouTube channel.
Sometimes people can do things that make you feel really awful. You probably don’t think you could ever forgive them. However, unforgiveness is toxic in relationships and can even be toxic to your health! So AJ is here to teach us how forgiveness works.
- Forgiveness is about choosing to release. When you forgive someone what you are really doing is releasing bitterness and anger. You release the desire you have to blame that person for the way you feel. You also release any desire you might have to get back at that person.
- Forgiveness is a trained response. Forgiveness isn’t something we naturally know how to do. If you just sit around waiting until you “feel like” you want to forgive someone, then you will be waiting for a really, really, really long time. It’s human nature to want to point fingers, be angry with other, and even get revenge. Forgiveness is so hard because it goes beyond our nature. It’s a way to extend grace rather than demanding justice. It’s going to take a lot of work to learn how to forgive. You have to make the choice to forgive or else you bitter nature will take over.
We all need a little forgiveness in our lives. If you are struggling to forgive ask yourself these three questions: (1) What is your motivation for not forgiving? (2) Do you really understand forgiveness? (3) What can you do to help you forgive? Now that you know how forgiveness works, take some time to forgive the people in your life who have hurt you.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Describe a time you forgave someone for something rude they did.
- Is there someone you need to forgive? If so, how are you going to forgive them?
- Has anyone ever forgiven you for something you did? How did it make you feel?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.