This topic is adapted from the Prager U YouTube channel.
Human beings have been fascinated by the concept of life after death for thousands of years. Is there an afterlife? What happens when we die? The basis for these questions can often be traced back to a belief in a higher power. Many cultures around the world believe in a higher power, but not all of them believe that we move on to another place when we die.
Is There a God?
To answer the question of the afterlife, one must first determine whether or not they believe in a god or gods, or some other conscious higher power. (For simplicity, we’ll just call it “God” in this article.) This is important. If you do believe in God then the question of whether or not we move on to an afterlife will answer itself. Belief in a good, caring God means we can’t possibly cease to exist after this life. It would be too unjust for a good God to leave so many wrongs unpunished, letting humans murder, steal, and hurt others while on this earth. While God is forgiving and peaceful, he is also just. God’s justice ensures us that there is, in fact, an afterlife. His perfect law reveals that no one will go unpunished for deeds unforgiven.
Since God is not physical, this isn’t the only reality or plane of existence. The afterlife exists in a place that is beyond what our brains can comprehend. If you believe in God and the concept of a soul, there must be an afterlife for that soul to ascend to.
Denying the existence of the beyond leads to a meaningless existence. For those who believe in God, there must be a place for your soul to go when you die.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- Do you believe in God or some other conscious higher power? What do you think this God/power is like? Why do you think this?
- Do you believe in an afterlife? Why or why not?
- Do you think the existence of God means there must be an afterlife? Explain.
- Why does the existence of an afterlife matter? How does an afterlife change how we live?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.