Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more
Find out where you can find your identity and how you can have empathy for others.
- Many people these days don’t have a strong sense of identity or purpose.
- Ideals are the things we think are important and want to go for, but values are the things we actually commit to achieving.
- When we struggle with identity, it is because we don’t know our purposes in life or our value in this world.
- Empathy is the ability to care for others in their circumstances, and it is a trait sadly lacking in our media-crazy, mile-a-minute society.
Where am I getting my sense of purpose and self-worth if it doesn’t come from a creator? -Lecrae
See Also: Character, Empathy, Identity, Racism
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What’s the difference between ideals and values?
- What are your ideals? What do you really value in life? Why?
- When have you felt a lack of identity and meaning in life? How did you restore your sense of purpose?
- Do you think having faith in God is a crutch and means you are a weak person? Why or why not?
- Why do you think it is difficult for people in our society to feel empathy towards others? How is empathy a motivation for action?
- What group of people do you feel the most empathy toward? Why?
- What action steps can you, your family, or your small group take to help others?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This topic is adapted from the LecraeVEVO YouTube channel.