Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
What do you do with people who choose to be deliberately ignorant about stuff? It's not actually a new problem.
- Social media has given everybody what appears to be an equal voice, so it’s hard to know what’s really true anymore.
- There’s a difference between deliberately ignorant people and those who are still in the process of learning.
- The more you debate stupid ideas with deliberately ignorant people, the more you legitimize their unfounded nonsense.
If you wrestle with a pig, the best you can be is a pig wrestler. – Chris Hadfield
See Also: Science, Culture
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- What’s the stupidest idea you’ve heard recently?
- “The internet has turned everything into the speaker’s corner”. Explain what this means.
- How can you tell the difference between someone who is “deliberately ignorant” and someone who just doesn’t have the facts yet?
- Make a list of some of the people who have a big megaphone today. How did they get it? Which ones deserve conversation?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.