Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
If you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll have no idea how to get there. That’s why you need clarity on these two important things.
- Vision pictures what life would be like in 5 or 10 years in a perfect world at work.
- Missions answers a more static question: why does your company exist in the first place?
- Taken together, mission and vision define “the win” for your organization.
Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality. – Warren Bennis
See Also: Workplace, Leadership, Vision
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Answer the mission question for your team. Why do you exist as an organization?
- How many people on your team could clearly articulate your mission? How well do you think you are organized to accomplish it? Explain.
- Answer the vision question for your team. Where are you going in the next 3, 5, or 10 years? Do you think you’ll get there? Why or why not?
- Why do you think it is important to have clarity when it comes to your mission and vision?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This is part of the Leadership 101 series.