Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Girls and women can struggle a lot with body image - even those female athletes who are physically healthier than most non-athletes.
- You’re not the only one to struggle with this.
- The struggle won’t just suddenly go away. You’ll have to be proactive.
- Stop listening to the wrong voices and empowering the wrong person.
Weight loss does not make people happy. Or peaceful. Being thin does not address the emptiness that has no shape or weight or name. Even a wildly successful diet is a colossal failure because inside the new body is the same sinking heart. -Geneen Roth
See Also: Athletes, Coaching, Health, Mental Health
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Have you ever struggled with body image? What happened?
- Have you ever felt pushed in the wrong direction or toward the wrong perspective by someone who was well-meaning? Explain.
- What are some unique challenges female athletes face vs. women in general?
- How can women who struggle with body image and self-confidence support one another?
- How can you be proactive in overcoming body image struggles?
- How can you stop empowering the “wrong” voices in your life?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.