This topic is adapted from the KidForward YouTube channel.
How tall you are can affect how you feel about yourself. If you value height, thinking that tallness is a sign of personal value, you may face a lot of disappointment when you find someone taller than you. You have little control over how tall you will be.
Height Is Not Predictable
It is not possible to accurately predict how tall you can become. How tall your parents are can give you an idea of how tall you might be, since their genes are passed on to you. But how tall your parents are cannot be used to accurately determine what your height will be.
Drink a Lot of Water
Keeping your body hydrated by drinking water is one of the healthiest things you can do. Avoid sodas and sugary energy drinks which spike your energy levels and take energy from your body which it could use to help grow you taller during your tween and teen years.
How to Maximize Your Height
One control you do have over your height is what you eat. If you fuel your body with the right foods, you give it the health it needs to maximize your growth. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and avoid foods with lots of fats and salt. When you are heavy and overweight, it puts more stress on your joints, especially your heart, which can lead to health problems later
Letting Height Define You
Don’t be insecure about your height. You have little control over your height. You should be comfortable with who you are, no matter how tall you are. Don’t compare yourself to others by your height, since you cannot make yourself taller by worrying about it.
If you take care of yourself by watching what you eat and getting the right exercise, you may have a positive influence on your height. Really, the most important thing is that you are confident and secure in yourself. Accept that, no matter your height, you are tall enough to be an awesome you!
Written content for this topic by David Bassett.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- How tall do you want to be? Discuss why you want to be that tall.
- Discuss a person whom you admire because they are tall. What other traits do they have that you admire?
- What are some of the ways you can best maximize your height?
- What can you do to be confident in yourself no matter your height? Why does it matter?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.