This topic is adapted from the SketchX YouTube channel.
What’s a “power dynamic” when you’re a student? It’s when the popular kids have all the power and you feel like nobody. The truth is, this has always been a thing.
Here are three things you need to know:
#1 Don’t Let the Power Dynamic Define You
Don’t let the power dynamic define you. It’s easy to get wrapped up in what the popular kids think.
#2 Learn to Rise Above It
Don’t buy into what everyone else thinks. If you do it now, you’ll end up doing it for the rest of your life, and it’s not a fun way to live.
#3 This, Too, Shall Pass
The power dynamic seems like it’ll go on forever, but it’ll pass. The popular kids aren’t popular forever, and just because you aren’t cool now doesn’t mean you won’t be cool when you’re an adult. Being a successful person is about working hard, being disciplined, not giving up, and surrounding yourself with true friends, family, and good people who are going to encourage you to be the best “you” you can be.
Written content for this topic by Daniel Martin.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What’s the “power dynamic” like at your school? Share a story.
- Where are you in the “power dynamic” – smack-dab in the middle or somewhere on the outskirts? No matter where you are in that dynamic, what can you do to be a friend to everyone?
- Why is it important not to let the power dynamic define you?
- What can you do to “rise above” the power dynamic in your school?
- What are you most looking forward to about the power dynamic “passing” as you become an adult?
- What can you start doing now to work through the challenges of the power dynamic?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.