Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
- Watch out for these 10 signs to know if you’re being manipulated:
- They constantly make you prove yourself. They are impatient, demanding and selfish. They guilt trip you frequently.
- They communicate passive-aggressively. They talk about you behind your back, or use a middle man for communication.
- They gaslight you. This means they make you feel like you can’t rely on your own memory. They will twist and reinvent the truth. This is a dangerous form of abuse.
- They are always “Just joking.” They take things too far and accuse you of being too sensitive.
- They play the victim. They make you feel like everything is your fault. They never believe they’ve done anything wrong.
- They kill you with kindness. They do favors to pressure you to do things in return for them. Their kindness has ulterior motives.
- They make your problems feel small. They always want the spotlight. They do everything they can to get the attention they want.
- They emphasize their calm, cool, and collected side. If you express anger or frustration, they stay calm in order to make you dramatic. They are dismissive of your feelings.
- They use emotional blackmail. They try to control you by threatening self-harm if you ever leave. If this is happening, consider contacting the police before things get out of hand.
- They take advantage of your trusting and sensitive nature. They target sincere and trusting individuals. They are good at spotting people pleasers who put their own needs on hold.
Controllers, abusers, and manipulative people don’t question themselves. They don’t ask themselves if the problem is them. They always say the problem is someone else. – Darlene Ouimet.