Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Don’t just do something because that’s what everyone else is doing. Learn to think for yourself.
- High school can be scary. There’s a lot of pressure to conform.
- Being a follower can cause us to compromise in areas we otherwise wouldn’t.
- We should have integrity. This means being the same person everywhere we go.
- You don’t necessarily have to be a leader, but being a doormat for others is never a good thing.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde
See Also: Character, Leadership
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Why do you think so many people in high school are followers?
- Who is an example of a great leader you’ve known? Why do you think they’re great?
- Would you consider yourself a follower? Why or why not?
- Do you think it’s ever okay to be a follower? Explain.
- What are some of the things that prevent people from being themselves at school, home, or elsewhere?
- What are some ways you can have integrity and start being yourself everywhere you go?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.