Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
- The hope that every business owner has is that his or her business will one day take off and become successful. Here we cover the “Masters of Scale” podcast with Brian Chesky and Reid Hoffman in order to gain some insights into how to make your business take off.
- To scale, you must do things that don’t scale. Chesky, the CEO of airbnb, lived in California, but early users of his app lived in New York. He spent weekends in New York with the hosts and did things like take photos and get feedback from them.
- Creating a successful business is like launching a rocket. In the first phase you want to design the perfect product. Just like with a rocket booster, this takes a lot of energy, focus, and attention to gets things started. You do a lot of work by hand in this phase.
- Eventually a rocket gets into orbit and this is equivalent to the scale phase. At this point you have to scale your product to go viral. This part of the phase has to involve more automated systems. You also switch from relational marketing to a more operational and systematic approach.
- Chesky also acknowledges a transition phase between the two major phases. In this transitional phase you have to keep in mind two opposing mindsets: empathy for the single user and a concern for the broader user base. The goal when scaling a product is to keep those two mindsets balanced as you transition from one major phase to another.
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. – Walt Disney
See Also: Vision