Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
There are many gender stereotypes associated with friendship, but are they actually true?
- A common stereotype is that girls talk about feelings and boys avoid them.
- In friendships, guys will roast you to your face but a girl will only do it behind your back.
- Relating to each other, guys will act tough around girls and girls will act dumb around guys.
One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood. -Lucius Annaeus Seneca
See Also: Communication, Friendship
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Do you disagree with any of the stereotypes? Why?
- What do girls do better than guys in friendships? What do guys do better than girls in friendships?
- Why do you think girls feel like they need to play dumb? Why do you think guys feel like they need to act tough?
- Make a list of your own friendship stereotypes. Which ones really stand out to you?
- In a perfect world, what would these friendships look like? How can you work to make that real life?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.