Do you have the courage to jump over the back of a chair like AJ? Hopefully not! Having courage isn’t just about doing crazy stuff that seems brave. It’s about a whole lot more.
Courage is about facing your fears even when you want to run, and there are plenty of things that might make us want to run.
Making friends when you don’t know a lot of people – like if you move to a new town – can take courage. Standing up for what’s right, like protecting someone being picked on, or telling the truth when it would be easier to hide or to mind your own business, takes courage.
Being brave can be about doing exciting stuff like AJ jumping on the chair, but real courage is about how we live our lives every day.
Written content for this topic by Daniel Martin.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- What are some things that make you want to run away? Scary movies, bugs, homework?
- Has someone you know ever shown a lot of courage? What happened?
- What are times when you have had courage instead of running? Tell the story!
- Is there anything you need to have courage in right now? Why does it take courage?
- Why do you think the world would be a better place if everyone had courage?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.