This topic is adapted from the Vincent K. Harris YouTube channel.
How do you build mental toughness? Have you ever seen or known someone who just refused to lose? All indications around them such as the sales report, cash flow, or the clients that left them, clearly showed they were losing but somehow, in their mind, they still saw themselves as not only a winner but as winning. It’s like they don’t have another option but to succeed. Even at their darkest hour when even the most loyal people walk out on them, the thought of not pressing on seems to have never crossed their mind.
Mentally tough individuals don’t live in a make-believe world that denies the facts or what is seen. Instead, they seem to always be moved or controlled by that which is unseen. What do these people possess that others don’t seem to have? How did they obtain this thing that drives them? How do they keep themselves motivated, encouraged, focused or driven even in the worst of situations?
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- In your own words, define “mental toughness.” Why do you define it this way?
- Describe a time when you exhibited mental toughness. How did it affect your life at that time?
- Describe a time when you failed to be mentally tough. How did it affect your life?
- What are the three strategies given in the video to increase mental toughness? How can they apply to your life?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.