Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more
In order to be relaxed, we have to do one thing that might make us uncomfortable: process our emotions.
- We don’t always show, realize, or even feel all the emotions we experience throughout the day. Left unaddressed, these things can manifest as anxiety.
- The problem for many of us is that we are not processing our emotions. We try to do everything but process our emotions by distracting ourselves.
- What we feel can often contradict what we deeply know and believe about ourselves.
- Processing our emotions will improve our general mood, but this requires time and energy.
- Process your emotions to help keep yourself from being overwhelmed.
We grow depressed about everything because we cannot be sad about something.
See Also: College, Emotions, Health, Mental Health
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Have you ever seen someone and thought, “They’re dealing with some stuff right now, but they’re not talking about it?” Or has this been you at times? What happened?
- What sort of emotions or issues are often in the back of your mind?
- Have you ever experienced anxiety-related struggles? Or have you seen it happen to someone else? What happened?
- “We try to do everything but process our emotions.” Have you seen this to be true in yourself and others? Explain.
- “We grow depressed about everything because we cannot be sad about something.” Explain how you’ve seen this to be true in your life.
- Does what you feel about yourself sometimes contradict what you truly believe about yourself? Explain.
- Why is it important to find people who “warmly recognize and charitably accept” the challenges of being human? Do you have friends, mentors, parents, or similar people in your life who can be there for you?
- Why is it important to acknowledge and admit our fears, anxieties, troubles, or other issues?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.
This topic is adapted from The School of Life YouTube channel.