Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
- What’s the secret to success Coach Beckner has found in meeting successful people? “They all have an unwavering, relentless, unbelievable work ethic.”
- In the sports world, it’s tempting to take things easy once you get a contract, but Coach Beckner has seen that the most successful players, even after signing on the dotted line, are still hungry like they’re rookies fighting for a spot on the team. They haven’t let success turn them lazy.
- At Boise State, Coach Beckner can’t allow his players to be “50/50 guys.” He means players who are there “once in awhile.” These players get you beat in the long run. They don’t have the long view of how their individual actions affect their performance as members of the team and ultimately bring the team down. This applies to work teams, community service, or any other group working toward a larger goal.
- If you want to be exceptional, you have to do more. The best of the best always ask for more.
- Keep two things in mind when things get tough on your team or at work. First, find someone to believe in you: a mentor or someone else to keep you accountable. Second, work ethic is controllable. Some things aren’t controllable, like how tall you are. But if you can control the controllables, you’re going to outwork others and excel in the long run.
There are no medals for trying. -Bill Parcells