Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Respect. It’s a word we hear all the time, but what is it and why does it matter?
- Respect is about valuing someone as a human being.
- Being respectful will help you to garner favor with others and people will want to hear what you have to say.
- You show respect by listening, encouraging and helping others, especially in times of despair or struggle.
“We all require and want respect, man or woman, black or white. It’s our basic human right.”-Aretha Franklin
See Also: Relationships, Communication
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Think about someone you respect. What is it about them that makes them so respectable.
- Explain a time when you feel you did not get the respect you deserved. Why did you feel this way?
- What is the difference between respecting someone and showing respect toward someone? Explain.
- What are some ways you could show respect to the people around you?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.