Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Having a great vision and staying positive are important for effective leadership, but there’s more to it than that.
- Communication builds trust – which generates commitment – which fosters teamwork – which creates results. Where there is a void in communication, negativity fills it.
- Coaching is about investing in people. Great coaches bring out the greatness in others. They don’t see where they are, but where they can be.
- Caring is about loving people. Busyness and stress can get in the way. Recognize people. Thank them. The number one reason people quit their jobs is that they don’t feel appreciated.
Example is not the main thing in influencing others; it is the only thing. –Albert Schweitzer
See Also: Athletes, Teams, Workplace
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Share about a time when lack of communication hurt your team. How did it destroy trust? What happened to the team’s feeling of commitment to each other – or your feeling of commitment to them?
- Name three people you have invested in over the last year. How did you do it? What impact did it have? Share an example.
- Name three people who have invested in you over the last year. How did they do it? What impact did it have? Share an example.
- When was the last time you recognized or thanked someone on your team? How did you do it? Name three people you will acknowledge this week with a personal note or word of thanks.
- What are some other ways you can show people that you love them? How long do you think it will take to create a caring culture on your team?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.