This topic is adapted from the FLEXTALK YouTube channel.
Modesty is something you probably hear about all the time. It’s something you talk about in school, with your parents, and maybe even with your friends. But what is modesty and why does it matter?
- Modesty is honoring yourself and your body. When you are modest, you respect yourself and your values.
- The most obvious example of modesty is how you dress. When planning an outfit, consider how comfortable you think that outfit would make you and others. If your outfit makes anyone feel uncomfortable, then it probably isn’t modest.
- When you dress or act immodestly, other people may begin to think that you don’t respect yourself. When this starts to happen, they may disrespect you as well.
- Social media is making it more “normal” to be immodest. If you are immodest on social media, you tend to get more likes or comments. This makes it seem like it’s okay to be immodest, but it’s not.
- You don’t have to be defined by what you look like or who you are on social media. You should find your worth in the things you enjoy and the people you love.
Being immodest shouldn’t be something you strive to do. You should take pride in your values and your body by being modest. Immodesty contributes to a culture that focuses more on outward appearance than it does on who a person really is.
- Watch the video together or invite someone to summarize the topic.
- What is your initial reaction to this video? Do you disagree with any of it? What jumped out at you?
- How can you be modest in the way that you dress? What are other ways to live modestly?
- Why do you think more and more girls are dressing and acting immodestly?
- What are some ways people are immodest on social media that you have seen?
- Why is it important to be modest?
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.