Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
- In 2017 the Royal Society for Public Health conducted research on the effects of social media on 1,500 individuals. They concluded that all the social media platforms; Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and SnapChat cause mental health issues. Only YouTube had a somewhat positive result.
- They ranked the four platforms from least damaging to most damaging as follows: Twitter, Facebook, SnapChat and Instagram.
- The reason Instagram does the most damage has to do with the constant social comparisons with peers. Before social media our brains didn’t have as many people to compare ourselves to. It was easier to feel good about being who we are, because our pool of comparison was so small.
- The average teenager now spends at least 6-9 hours on social media everyday! That means they’re spending a lot of time comparing themselves to others which often leaves them feeling inadequate.
- Rather than spending hours of your day on social media, instead spend your time learning about things that will benefit you in life.
Social media has created jealous behavior over illusions. Sadly, some are envious of things, relationships, and lifestyles that don’t actually exist. – Anonymous
See Also: Social Media