Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
Just as smartphones have given us new ways to stay connected, new gadgets, and games, they have also created new issues that we should be aware of and avoid.
- Smartphones are a part of our world and keep us connected globally. But as with most new technology, there are ways that smartphones have also impacted our lives negatively.
- Our phones have taken us away from face to face interaction.
- Phones add stress as now we are available at all times and we are able to constantly check social media for the latest news and events.
- The blue lights in our phones can keep us up at night making us tired and fatigued.
“Technology is cool, but you’ve got to use it as opposed to letting it use you.”- Prince
See Also: Technology, Communication
Talk About It
- What is your initial reaction to this topic? What jumped out at you?
- Have you ever felt stressed out by the notifications popping up on your smartphone? Do you feel a sense of urgency to respond each time? Explain.
- How many times do you think you check your phone each day? Could you check it less and still feel connected? Why or why not?
- Have you ever lost or broken your phone? If so, what did it feel like when you were not able to use it? Why?
- What goes through your mind when you see another person on their phone during an event like class, dinner, or a wedding? Explain.
- Write a personal action step based on this conversation.