Watch the video above and talk about it with a group or mentor. Learn more.
- Marijuana is a popular, cheap drug that is gaining legalization in many U.S. states for medical and recreational use.
- While marijuana is not nearly as dangerous as drugs like cocaine or heroin, it’s not entirely harmless, either.
- One harmful effect of marijuana is that it is illegal to possess or use in most states. For no other reason than this, it is unwise to possess and use in those states. Whether you agree with the law or not, you can still be convicted of a crime for breaking it.
- Marijuana smoke contains many of the same carcinogens (cancer-causing substances) as tobacco smoke. Prolonged use can cause respiratory problems.
- Long-term use of marijuana, especially during adolescence, can cause developmental problems because of the many brain changes that occur during adolesence.
- Some studies have shown that the earlier someone starts using marijuana, the more it will affect their learning and memory as adults.
If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them their sorrows know how to swim. – Ann Landers
This topic is adapted from the Recovery Brands YouTube channel.